Saturday, December 28, 2019

Subscriber-Only Highlights in effect

Decided it was time to start setting videos to subscriber-only on my channel, as it was clear Twitch was not going to make descriptions or titles public on highlights again.  My original plan was to set EVERYTHING on the channel to subscriber-only, but I decided that Past Broadcasts don't need descriptions, so instead, I set every Highlight to subscriber-only individually.  There are a few exceptions to what I just stated:
  • Past Broadcasts where personal (sensitive) information was discussed will still be getting marked as Subscriber-Only, normally a Highlight will also be made off of that personal information & only accessible by subscribers.
  • Any video where Twitch chat was a large point of the video will be left as public, typically these will be linked to from the detailed descriptions on Google Drive (which started serving as the primary means for descriptions when Twitch started hiding them back in September of 2019) & the YouTube and Steam versions of those videos.
  • Any video that is being used in a review on my personal site (usually meaning it's embedded on the page) & does not have a YouTube version for that specific video will remain public.  Videos that are embedded in pages on external sites typically do not need descriptions to be displayed on the video page itself because the video can be viewed from that site rather than having to come to Twitch directly, so the reason for the video on Twitch is only confusing to those that are viewing it on Twitch, it still serves it's purpose on external sites where the video is embedded with a visible description of why the video is there & what's in the video (something I was considering doing previously for every video on my Twitch channel, but decided it would take too much time to set up, so I ended up abandoning that plan after roughly 10 videos).
I have yet to do a subscriber-only stream, however it's intended that PvP streams (ones that could be stream-sniped & manipulated by opponents in the same match to their advantage) will be dedicated as being subscriber-only.  I believe VIPs also have access to subscriber-only streams; gaining a VIP status on my channel can be done in a number of ways:
  • I know them personally outside of Twitch, usually in person.
  • If a supporting streamer has helped me reach a particular milestone on Twitch
  • If a streamer has me marked as a moderator on their channels
  • If a viewer has subbed or cheered at least 100 bits in one cheer on my channel
  • If a streamer has me marked as a VIP on their channel
People who have VIP status on my channel will start falling off of this list as I run out of VIP slots to put people in, based mostly on how much has been contributed to the channel in subs & cheers).

Despite nearly every highlight on my Twitch channel now being Subscriber-Only, almost everything that is on Twitch is also on my YouTube channel (and then some).  It is advised that due to the poor tagging system & lack of descriptions & titles that now appears to be standard on Twitch that users should stick to searching for videos on YouTube where there is still a proper means to find videos you may be looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated; only civil responses will be allowed to be shown, abusive comments will be reported, deleted and the user banned from this blog.